Friday, January 19, 2007

Title Track

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:6 NIV)

Before I was a Christian I had a bit of trouble with this verse. "No one..." That seems a bit harsh, don't you think?

But as I began to learn more it began to make sense. You see... God is completely Holy. He cannot abide sin. Never mind being in the same room with it, He can't be in the same universe with it! But we humans are sinners. It's a fact. We all do Bad Things. How, then, can we go to Heaven, be in the presence of God, if God cannot tolerate the presence of our sin?

Well, He worked that out. He came to us in the flesh as Jesus Christ. He put aside His deity for a time to walk with us physically. To experience all that we experience. To be one of us. He died on the cross for us, for our sins. During that moment when He cried out "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" (Mat 27:46 NIV) He took on all our sins. Every one of us, for all time. And in that moment He made it possible for us to stand before our God in Heaven, forgiven and without sin.

So, when Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me" it wasn't a harsh "you gotta be a part of the club" answer. It was simply a statement of fact. Only through Christ can we be forgiven and have our sin washed away so that we can someday stand - without sin - before God.

No comments: