Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Litmus

In Casey's leadership notes this week he talks about training himself to be more Godly. He gives some examples from his own life of things one can do to become more like Christ. He wraps it up with a series of words, a litmus test, for how he is growing as a believer:
  • Love
  • Joy
  • Peace
  • Patience
  • Kindness
  • Goodness
  • Gentleness
  • Self-Control
As I look at these words I have to ask myself how I measure up. Do I love others the way Christ loves me? Do I experience joy in life? Cause it in others? Am I a peaceful person? It certainly isn't peaceful being around me sometimes! Patience? Yea... just ask the folks who have known me for a while! Am I kind? Good? Gentle? Do I have any degree of self control?

Wow. Casey is setting a pretty high standard here. I mean, that's a ten-foot high jump at least!

But is it, really? In John 14:14 we read:
    You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it. (NIV)
Here Christ is telling us that He is there for us. For me. For you. For all of us. "In my name" -- as though we were Him; assuming His identity. If we are asking to be like Him; if we are asking to exhibit Christ-like qualities such as the things in he list above; if we are asking to do what He would do then He will grant us that request. If we truly want to be more Godly then all we have to do is ask for Christ's help and He will give it to us. It really is that simple.

How do you judge your growth as a follower of Christ? Do you have a litmus-list of words by which you judge yourself? Something else? Have you asked Christ to help you with that? Have you asked him to put someone in your life who will hold you accountable?

I don't have a list of words. Instead, my wife is my litmus test. She holds me accountable and keeps me honest. Without her I likely wouldn't be writing these words. She holds me to a higher standard and encourages me to reach the ten-foot high jump. Christ put her in my life many years ago, even before I was a Christian. Even then He had a plan -- a vision -- for my life. I am grateful for that and I measure myself daily against that blessing.

No comments: